Thursday, March 14, 2013

February 2013 Full Hearts

Ed's Birthday, 2-1-13

My nephew at 6-years-old (a few years ago)
This picture was taken when Ed's son was 6-years-old. But today I am using it to wish happy birthday to his Dad and to my brother, Ed. We all miss you, Eddie Edward.

Clouds, 6-3-09

For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. (Psalm 30:5)

Our sorrows can be turned into joy through the love of the Savior.

Oregon, 5-22-04

Remembering Ed. This picture was taken the night before he died. The beautiful song was sung at his funeral.

Celebrating my brother's life today. We miss him, but we know we will be with him again.

(Photo credit: probably my sister-in-law)

Remembering Ed, 2-2-13


Ed is a Young Man, Singing
Ed loved to sing: on his own, with other people, karaoke, in the car, in the store, always. He would burst into song along with the radio when he was working or shopping. (I'm not sure who took this picture.)

We can make a joyful noise, and we should. Because of the Lord, we have so much to celebrate.
(To INSERT: the song he sang at my parents' farewell. The songs from his funeral?)


At the Door, 2-3-13



Balboa, 1-2-12

This picture was taken when we stopped by Balboa  after picking John up from the Long Beach Airport last year. I noticed the door when we were walking to the beach, but I took the picture on the way back to the car. Good choice. The lighting was beautiful.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

Are we listening for the knock at our door? Our we preparing our homes? Can we invite the Savior in for a quiet meal and a place to rest?
Glorious Morning


We get such beautiful skies here. I had to grab my camera this morning and head into our backyard to get a picture.


Morning has broken, like the first morning. 

Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird. 
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning, 
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word. 



Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlight from heaven. 
Like the first dew fall, on the first grass. 
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden, 
Sprung in completeness where His feet pass. 

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning. 
Born of the one light Eden saw play. 
Praise with elation, praise every morning; 
God's recreation of the new day. 

Morning has broken, like the first morning. 
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird. 
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning, 
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word.

Gaelic tune; Words by Eleanor Farjeon

Redlands Temple on Ed's Birthday, 2-1-13



I took this picture on Friday, 2-1-13 when I visited the temple to worship, serve, and remember Ed's birthday."I Have a Family Here on Earth" is one of Ed's Favorite songs. As a boy, "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" was his favorite.

1. I have a fam'ly here on earth.
They are so good to me.
I want to share my life with them through all eternity.

Chorus
Fam'lies can be together forever
Through Heav'nly Father's plan.
I always want to be with my own family,
And the Lord has shown me how I can.
The Lord has shown me how I can.

2. While I am in my early years,
I'll prepare most carefully,
So I can marry in God's temple for eternity.

Words: Ruth Muir Gardner, 1927-1999. (c) 1980 IRI
Music: Vanja Y. Watkins, b. 1938. (c) 1980 IRI



The Missionaries, 2-4-13

Elders in our Ward, 2-3-13



We had the Elders over for dinner yesterday.

Our missionaries are doing a wonderful work. I am so happy for their preparation and service. 

1. The world has need of willing men
Who wear the worker's seal.
Come, help the good work move along;
Put your shoulder to the wheel.

(Chorus)
Put your shoulder to the wheel; push along,
Do your duty with a heart full of song,
We all have work; let no one shirk.
Put your shoulder to the wheel.

2. The Church has need of helping hands,
And hearts that know and feel.
The work to do is here for you;
Put your shoulder to the wheel.

3. Then don't stand idly looking on;
The fight with sin is real.
It will be long but must go on;
Put your shoulder to the wheel.

4. Then work and watch and fight and pray
With all your might and zeal.
Push ev'ry worthy work along;
Put your shoulder to the wheel.

Text and music: Will L. Thompson, 1847-1909


Working with Color, 2-5-13



Memory Grove, 1-1-13

A practice with desaturating and colorizing using GIMP.

I look forward to that day, when the Lord will be King over all the earth. (See Zechariah 14:9)
Los Angeles Zoo, 1-23-12

A practice with desaturating and colorizing using GIMP. I am also doing the assignments that are given in Christine's Image Design class. 





I had to add it again without the color. It looks so much better in the original hues.

My Valentine, 2-6-13

Redlands Temple, 5-22-09

This photo was colorized in Gimp. The original is pretty, too.

1. High on the mountain top
A banner is unfurled.
Ye nations, now look up;
It waves to all the world.
In Deseret's sweet, peaceful land,
On Zion's mount behold it stand!

2. For God remembers still
His promise made of old
That he on Zion's hill
Truth's standard would unfold!
Her light should there attract the gaze
Of all the world in latter days.

3. His house shall there be reared,
His glory to display,
And people shall be heard
In distant lands to say:
We'll now go up and serve the Lord,
Obey his truth, and learn his word.

4. For there we shall be taught
The law that will go forth,
With truth and wisdom fraught,
To govern all the earth.
Forever there his ways we'll tread,
And save ourselves with all our dead.

Text: Joel H. Johnson, 1802-1882
Music: Ebenezer Beesley, 1840-1906

Bob, My Sweetheart, 1-30-13
I erased the background in Paint and then added color. I rather like this one.

There are only a few more days before Valentine's Day. Who do you need to remember most this year?

Sheila's Birthday, 2-7-13

Salt Lake 1-3-12

Added a nice red hue in Gimp.

Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?

He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.

He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

Psalms 24:3-5


Surfing at Oak Glen in 2009


Eliza having fun four years ago.

Primary Talk, 4-15-12


This beautiful young primary girl has been taught well by her grandmother. She gave a talk on the first principles and ordinances of the gospel and on the importance of enduring to the end. She called it the 5-Step Plan.

Clouds, 6-3-09

Our angel son Robby's 19th birthday is on 8 February 2013. We love you very much, Robby.

I wrote this little verse for Robby to sing at his funeral and to remember him by. It has been a huge comfort to me.


Robby's Birthday, 2-8-13


Another picture of last night's (2-8-13) traffic.
Camp Leaders, 2-6-13

This was taken on Tuesday at this year's camp registration. It's like a  huge pep rally. All of the girls are excited.

Redlands Temple, 2-8-13

Arriving at the temple this morning. I am truly blessed to go to the temple. Happy Birthday, Robby.
Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live,
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,
Who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care,
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my roof’s safe shelter over head,
That he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need. I’ll show that love by word and deed.
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

Lyrics by written by Grace Noll Crowell.

Redlands Temple 2-8-13


Same picture, desaturated and colorized. I like the first better.

Robby, 2-8-94

Remembering my Robby.

Life is a precious gift, no matter how short or how long. God is the Father of us all, and He loves us so much to entrust us with His beautiful children. As brothers and sisters, we all need to make an effort to be more kind to one another, to really make impressions of lasting love.

Sisters in Zion, 2-9-13


Redlands Temple, 1-24-12

A blast from the past. It was nice to attend the temple together as a Primary Presidency.

1. As sisters in Zion, we'll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we'll seek.
We'll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We'll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.

2. The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.

3. How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.

Text: Emily H. Woodmansee, 1836-1906
Music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938. (c) 1985 IRI

Morning Clouds, 2-8-13
I am so thankful for our loving Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus who created everything for our happiness.


Highland, 2-8-13

Bob and I were heading home from attending the temple. This is something that I wanted to do together for Robby's birthday. I also went this morning. Bob and I attended an endowment session and a sealing session together. 

We were in two different cars, because Bob drove to the temple from work. Then we stopped at a Jack-in-the-Box for dinner. On the drive home, I actually got off the freeway at 5th Street by Lowe's so that I could try to keep still enough to get a picture.




Another picture of last night's (2-8-13) traffic.

Awake, 2-10-13

Redlands Temple, 2-1-13


I realize you probably can't read this because the print is so small, but I just came across words to a hymn that I haven't seen before. I'll copy them here again for you:

All ye Gentile lands awake!
Thou, O Salem, rise and shine!
See the day-spring o’er you break,
Heralding a morn divine,
Telling, God hath called to mind
Those who long in darkness pined.

Lo! the shadows flee away,
For our Light is come at length,
Brighter than all earthly day,
Source of being, life and strength!
Whoso on this Light would gaze
Must forsake all evil ways.

Ah how blindly did we stray
Ere shone forth this glorious Sun,
Seeking each his separate way,
Leaving Heaven, unsought, unwon;
All our looks were earthward bent,
All our strength on earth was spent.

Earthly were our thoughts and low,
In the toils of folly caught,
Tossed of Satan to and fro,
Counting goodness all for naught;
By the world and flesh deceived,
Heaven’s true joys we disbelieved.

Then were hidden from our eyes
All the law and grace of God;
Rich and poor, the fools and wise,
Wanting light to find the road
Leading to the heavenly life,
Wandered lost in care and strife.

But the glory of the Lord
Hath arisen on us today;
We have seen the light outpoured
That must surely drive away
All things that to night belong,
All the sad earth’s woe and wrong.

Thy arising, Lord, shall fill
All my thoughts in sorrow’s hour;
Thy arising, Lord, shall still
All my dread of death’s dark power;
Through my smiles and through my tears
Still Thy light, O Lord, appears.

Let me, Lord in peace depart
From this evil world to Thee;
Where Thyself sole Brightness art,
Thou hast kept a place for me:
In the shining city there
Crowns of light Thy saints shall wear.

Words: Jo­hann Rist, 1655 (Werde Licht, du Stadt der Hei­den); trans­lat­ed from Ger­man to Eng­lish by Cath­er­ine Wink­worth, Lyra German­i­ca, 1862, pages 32-4.

Music: Un­ser Herr­scher, Jo­a­chim Ne­an­der, 1680 (MIDI, NWC, PDF).

Preparing for Valentines, 2-11-13

Heidi (by Shauna Warrick Photography, 11-26-11)

Because you come to me with naught save love,
And hold my hand and lift mine eyes above,
A wider world of hope and joy I see,
Because you come to me.

Because you speak to me in accents sweet,
I find the roses waking round my feet,
And I am led through tears and joy to thee,
Because you speak to me.

Because God made thee mine, I'll cherish thee
Through light and darkness, through all time to be,
And pray His love may make our love divine,
Because God made thee mine.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

Robby's Birthday Cake, 2-9-13

Happy Valentine's Day

Colored in Paint a little bit.


Bob and Heidi, 8-27-82

I colorized a wedding photo to use as a profile on my page on Facebook: onesmallvoicelds

Bob and I were married on 27 August 1982. Saying "yes" has made my life complete. If you are married, when did you get married?

(Yes, I put a pink hue to this picture for Valentine's. I love my rose-colored glasses.)

Spring is in the Air, 2-12-13


Tree at Church, 2-10-12

It was a cold week, and there is snow on the mountains, but this tree (and many others) are in full bloom.




Valentine's Profile, 2-13-13


Heidi, 2-17-09

Photograph taken nearly 4 years ago.

Bird at Redlands Temple, 5-11-12
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain
I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

(Written in 1905 by two songwriters, lyricist Civilla D. Martin and composer Charles H. Gabriel.)

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." (Matthew 10:29)

Happy Valentine's Day, 2-14-13


Eliza's Shower Cake: June 2011

Kitsy made the cake. Karen gave the shower.

Together at last! 
Together for ever! 
We're tying a knot,
hey never can sever! 

I don't need sunshine now,
To turn my skies at blue --
I don't need anything but you!

(From Annie)


Bob and Heidi, Shauna Warrick Photography, 6-18-11

"Every day, love me your own special way"

Always and forever 
Each moment with you 
It's just like a dream to me 
That somehow came true

And I know tomorrow
Will still be the same
Cause we got a life of love
That won't ever change

Every day love me your own special way
Melt all my heart away with a smile
Take time to tell me
You really care
And we'll share tomorrow together

I'll always Love You...Forever

There'll always be sunshine
when I look at you
Something I just can't explain
Just the things that you do

If you get lonely
Call me and take
A second to give to me
That magic you make

Every day love me your own special way
Melt all my heart away with a smile
Take time to tell me
You really care
And we'll share tomorrow together

I'll always Love You...Forever

Every day lend me your own special way
Melt all my heart away with a smile
Take time to tell me, You really care
And we'll share tomorrow together

Baby, Baby, Baby
I'll Love You Forever
I'll always Love You Forever
Together
Forever

(Kenny Rogers, Luther Vandross)

Cathy's Blessing Day, August 1983

This was the blessing day of our first child.

This picture was taken on Cathy's blessing day. I had already changed out of my Sunday dress, and my father-in-law wanted to take pictures. At that time, I was a little annoyed. Now I am so glad. This is a marvelous picture. So thankful for the memory caught so well.

Anticipation, 2-15-13

San Bernardino Vista Point, 2-14-13

I made yesterday's photograph into an image design using Gimp. 

24. But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. 
25. Adam fell that men might be; and men care, that they might have joy.
26. And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.
27. Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and call things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.
28. And now, my sons, I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit.

(2 Nephi 2:24-28)

San Diego Temple, 2-11-13

On Tuesday, the girls had New Beginnings. Sister Butterfield  painted this beautiful temple picture for them. Today I added a border using Paint. 


Glory, 2-16-13

Sunrise, 2-16-13

2-16-13 The sunrise was beautiful today.

1. Glory to God on high!
Let heav'n and earth reply.
Praise ye his name.
His love and grace adore,
Who all our sorrows bore.
Sing aloud evermore:
Worthy the Lamb!

2. Jesus, our Lord and God,
Bore sin's tremendous load.
Praise ye his name.
Tell what his arm has done,
What spoils from death he won.
Sing his great name alone:
Worthy the Lamb!

3. Let all the hosts above
Join in one song of love,
Praising his name.
To him ascribed be
Honor and majesty
Thru all eternity:
Worthy the Lamb!

Text: James Allen, 1734-1804, alt.
Music: Felice de Giardini, 1716-1796


Teaching our Children, 2-17-13

2-17-09

This picture was taken four years ago on 2-17-09. I love how AJ is right there with his mother as she is teaching the Young Women.

Called to Serve, 2-18-13

Redlands Temple 2-1-13

I like this picture that I took on my brother's birthday. I was across the street from the temple, so there are some tall palm trees in the foreground.

I am thankful for the temples, where we receive direction and power from God. I am thankful for all the missionaries who go forth from the temples ready to serve the children of God with His Spirit. Missionaries have blessed us all in bringing to us the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Do you have a good missionary story to share?

1. Called to serve Him, heav'nly King of glory,
Chosen e'er to witness for his name,
Far and wide we tell the Father's story,
Far and wide his love proclaim.

(Chorus)
Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name;
Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name;
Forward, pressing forward, as a triumph song we sing.
God our strength will be; press forward ever,
Called to serve our King.

2. Called to know the richness of his blessing--
Sons and daughters, children of a King--
Glad of heart, his holy name confessing,
Praises unto him we bring.

Text: Grace Gordon, alt.
Music: Adam Geibel, 1855-1933

Growing Up, 2-19-13

My Niece, 1-4-09

While it is true that we learn at an unprecedented rate during our first few years of life, we can learn, grow, and improve every day. We can choose who we are and redefine ourselves daily by our attitudes, dispositions, desires, thoughts, and actions. As children of our Heavenly Father, we continue to grow, and we can become like Him.

Sacrament, 2-20-13

Young Priesthood Holders, 2-17-13

 I am thankful for the young men of the Aaronic Priesthood and the great service that they do in administering the sacrament to all of us.

I am so thankful for the young men who hold the Aaronic Priesthood and offer the sacrament to me every week. What a blessing they are, to act in the place of our Savior to offer us His supper. These young men were at the hospital offering the sacrament to fellow ward members. 

Take the time to thank the young men in your ward.

Pre-Sunset  2-20-13
When things seem dark and hopeless, we are not to lose hope. Jesus is the Light of the World, and He will always shine through and give us what we need. His grace is truly sufficient for all of us.
Pre-Sunset 2-20-13

This morning, I removed my bedroom window screen to taken pictures. I took this picture out of my bedroom window in the later afternoon. So pretty. I love the skies after stormy weather. This evening Christine and I did some window cleaning.

First Birthday Picture Message, 2-21-13


Sunrise, 2-20-13

It was our cousin Sondra's birthday today. I took this picture yesterday morning from my bedroom window.


Arise and Shine Forth, 2-22-13

Redlands Temple 2-22-13
So glad I could go to the temple this morning. It is a huge blessing to me to be able to do so.

5 Verily I say unto you all: Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations;

6 And that the gathering together upon the land of Zion, and upon her stakes, may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth.

(Doctrine and Covenants 115:15-16)

1. Awake and arise, O ye slumbering nations!
The heavens have opened their portals again.
The last and the greatest of all dispensations
Has burst like a dawn o'er the children of men!

2. The dream of the poet, the crown of the ages,
The time which the prophets of Israel foretold,
That glorious day only dreamed by the sages
Is yours, O ye slumbering nations; behold!

3. Oh, lift up your voices in song and in story.
Let banners of peace in all lands be unfurled,
For truth, heaven-born, in its beauty and glory
Is marching triumphantly over the world.

Text: Theodore E. Curtis, 1872-1957. (c) 1984 IRI
Music: Carolee Curtis Green, b. 1940. (c) 1984 IRI
Early Evening 2-21-13

Early evening (2-21-13) as I was heading home from a walk to Baker's. (A four-mile walk that included dinner.)1 O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.

2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.

(Psalms 95:1-2)

Grandson, taken by Aunt Cathy

I'm glad that my children spend time together. This was taken at an aquarium. 

Birthday Wish, 2-23-13


Redlands Temple 2-1-13

A wish for a friend of Bob's from Tri-County Dental Society.

After Church , 2-24-13



Boy at Church 2-24-12



I took a few pictures after church today. This boy and his siblings are always so bright and cheerful. They all are.

Babysitting , 2-25-13

Chasing Bubbles 2-25-12

Christine and I babysat this little guy today. It was a lot of fun, and it required so much energy.
What joy a child sees in catching bubbles; what wonder a child feels in running and playing! Children know how to enjoy the miracles of God's creations. Children are His best miracle. Preserve the simple pleasures in your lives. Find joy.

Another Birthday , 2-26-13

Flowers, picture taken earlier in the moth

Happy Birthday to my cousin.

Another Birthday , 2-27-13

Redlands Temple 5-22-09

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary this past August. Last night we were asked to sit on a panel for a Relief Society meeting to answer questions regarding marriage. This took me back to when we had only been married a few years and were the audience participants in such an evening. I felt like those who were giving advice and answering questions about marriage back then were so old and wise. I am not saying that we are wise, by any means. It is just so funny that we have already arrived at that "seasoned" state. I am thankful for our experiences together. It continues to be a great journey.

Resizing and Optimizing , 2-28-13



What joy a child sees in catching bubbles; what wonder a child feels in running and playing! Children know how to enjoy the miracles of God's creations. Children are His best miracle. Preserve the simple pleasures in your lives. Find joy.
Darling Boy 1-25-13

I cropped and resized the picture and put the words closer to what I wanted seen. In the second picture, I added a little green.


Another Birthday , 2-28-13


San Bernardino 1-9-13

For Bob's Cousin.

Eliza at Disneyland 6-22-09

John took this picture of Eliza on her birthday before she left for her mission.  

"Sometimes we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey." (Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

We should enjoy being with our family and friends. We should enjoy the journey, even when it feels like it might be "to nowhere in particular." 

If we keep our covenants, we are on the right path. 

(Photo credit: my oldest son)


ART PROJECTS


Image made 2-12-13 from photo 2-9-13

I am really excited about this, so I wanted to share. I know I've been putting up a lot of stuff for Valentine's Day. I am doing an online course, along with my daughter, in Image Design. Other than just resizing, desaturation, and colorizing, this is my first real design. I took the original photo, then I used Gimp to edit it into a design. 

Happy Valentine's Day

2-13-13 Image made for 11-2-12 Photo


2-15-13 Images created from 2-14-13 Photo


Modeling Clay 2-21-13





2-21-13 Gimp First Sketch without a photo

Then I learned how to work with layers and brushes!

 Drew on Gimp 2-27-13

Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the food we eat.
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything.

(Children's mealtime blessing
Words: Anon.
Music: J. Battishill, 1738-1801)

I am happy for the many things that God gives us daily. This is a wonderful world. I just created this new picture this morning using GIMP. It is an awesome privilege to learn new things.






For health and strength and daily food, we praise thy name, O Lord. 

What a glorious world we live in. Thanksgiving should be a part of our every day life.


Image Created in Gimp 2-27-13

Be the "early bird" and get that worm!

1. In the leafy treetops, the birds sing "Good morning."
They're first to see the sun.
They must tell ev'ryone.
In the leafy treetops, the birds sing "Good morning."

2. In my pretty garden, the flowers are nodding.
"How do you do?" they say.
"How do you do today?"
In my pretty garden, the flowers are nodding.

(Words and music: Anonymous)










































































No comments:

Post a Comment