Tuesday, March 12, 2013

January 2013 Happy New Year

Happy New Year, 1-1-13 


I kept a photo of the day on Facebook last year. This year I have decided to add a message of a day to a photo each day. I hope that you will enjoy these and share them if you like. I would appreciate you referring viewers back to this site. I hope to walk in the light of the Lord all through the year and through all my days.

Thanks,

Heidi

Capitol Dome
This picture was taken from Memory Grove and shows the dome of the capitol.

Cathy, Eliza, Christine, and I were going to go to Hogle Zoo today, but it was closed. We spent just a few minutes in Memory Grove, and guess what? It was super cold...It really would not have been a good zoo day.

We got lunch at Sonic, and then we went to see Les Miserable. Wow. 24601. That was my Facebook status. It was amazing. The acting was superb. The emotion conveyed in voice and face, spirit and feeling. So very touching.






Family, Isn't It About Time? 1-2-13


Niece and Grand Nephew

My parents had a family pizza party at their home this evening. Everyone enjoyed visiting and eating. It was a real success. I especially liked the picture that I took of my niece and grand nephew sitting at the counter. What picture perfect posers.

What fun things have you done with your family recently?

Our Entire Family, to this point

It was also amazing for Bob and me to have all of our own family there. That was just way too cool. Eliza and Alex flew in from Texas to spend New Year's with all of us; and Bob, Christine, and I drove from California. It is a cold winter in Utah, but we had a beautiful time.


Hill of the Lord, 1-3-13 


Taken at dusk, looking east



After a day of shopping at the mall and visiting with our children and Suzanne and her children, Bob and I went out to eat with Alex and Eliza. I took this picture from the parking lot. The inversion was starting in Utah, so it doesn't look as sharp and clean as I'd like. But I do like how the evening sun was hitting the snow on the eastern mountains.

The Lord My Pasture, 1-4-13


Some cattle in Central Utah

On our drive home, I took this photo from the car in central Utah. We needed to get back home, but it was sad to leave family, and my children, and my grandchildren.


Silent Night, 1-5-13


Taken 12-8-12

This picture was originally taken while we were shopping  (in Fontana), I think. I loved the way the light was hitting the fall colors. Bob and I had our 30th anniversary this past 27 August (2012). I thought this was a good message for this pictureAfter Spending 30 Autumns of my Life with Bob, I want to spend all eternity with him.

Message shared on my page, February 27, 2013:

My husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary this past August. Last night we were asked to sit on a panel for a Relief Society meeting to answer questions regarding marriage. This took me back to when we had only been married a few years and were the audience participants in such an evening. I felt like those who were giving advice and answering questions about marriage back then were so old and wise. I am not saying that we are wise, by any means. It is just so funny that we have already arrived at that "seasoned" state. I am thankful for our experiences together. It continues to be a great journey.


Mountain Christmas Scene, 12-29-12

This photo was taken on our way to Salt Lake City to spend New Year's with our family. I think that this picture was just south of Provo, Utah somewhere. I really liked how it just looked like a little winter village.


Lead, Kindly Light, 1-6-13



Taken 12-11-12


This picture was  taken at the English home. They were having a birthday party in the backyard before the rain came in. I love the song that I put on the picture.

Nana’s House, 1-7-13

Nana's House, 8-13-12



I sure do miss my Nana. My grandmothers were the first people who I was really close to that passed away. Now I've lost a lot of loved ones. I will be happy to see them all again one day.

 Nana lived in the bottom floor apartment with the bay window for most of her life in Salt Lake City. She was from Belfast, Northern Ireland originally.





Drummer Boy, 1-8-13

Last Christmas Decoration

As soon as we got back from Utah (after the New Year), Bob took down all the Christmas decorations. He saves me the pain and agony of it each year, as I find it very depressing to pack up Christmas. But this blanket was still hanging from our upstairs railing, so I took a picutre and added the words.

One of my best Christmas memories is when our son John sang Drummer Boy for the primary when he was about 10-years-old. Some didn't know it, and I am glad that the leaders gave him the opportunity. He sang the whole thing, and it was beautiful. Gladly, Bob and I were both in there at the time.


Adore Him

Christine finished her Christmas puzzle today. Of course, she waited until we were back from Utah to work on it. It's fantastic. And of course, I saw the opportunity for another picture.




Beautiful Southern California, 1-9-13


San Bernardino


What a beautiful day: snow-capped mountains, pines and palms, green hills, and roses in bloom. I love my home. Oh, and did I forget to mention the ocean?!

I have always been amazed with winters in Southern California. Some people think San Bernardino is an awful place. I think it is awesome. Where else can you see pines and palms next to each other? Here, you can drive for a few minutes to be in the mountains, and for an hour to be at the beach. Here, you can see roses in bloom in your gardens, and snow-capped mountains not far off.


                                                                                                   
San Bernardino




It is too bad that our beautiful city is bankrupt. I hope that we can build San Bernardino back into a prosperous, thriving, and safe community. It would be great to repaint this sign in 2060 with much more hope and pride in our city.

I hope that San Bernardino will have become a safer place to live with much more prosperity. The Mormon Pioneers settled this city long ago, and I hope that it will become a great city. 


Good Seed, 1-10-13


Taken 1-9-13

In this world, we soon learn that you reap what you sow. If we do good deeds, then we become good; even as God is good. People will know that we are God's children by the good works that we do. 




Kathy's Birthday, 1-11-13

Salt Lake Temple, 4-23-12

I am thankful for the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for the Sealing Power that can make our families be together forever. Happy Birthday, Kathy.


I started a tradition of attending the temple on my sister's and my brother's birthdays last year. I miss them both. This picture, of the Salt lake Temple is a gift to Kathy, whose was born 1-11-59. My parents were married in this temple, and here we became a forever family.

Rose at the Temple

Life is precious and beautiful. We need to cherish each phase; knowing that even though we will fade in this life, because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ will will all be resurrected. And then we will be beautiful forever and live forever.

Our relationships should only become more beautiful with each passing day. Let's cherish the beauty and know that love will never vanish; it will be renewed and restored, through our own efforts; and, ultimately, through the gift of the atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We can continue to become more beautiful within and more beautiful to each other; and then one day, nothing will fade any more.

(Verse is from a song in Romeo and Juliet.)


This Beautiful World, 1-12-13


Redlands Temple 1-11-13



1. Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.

2. He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev'rently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.

Words and music: Clara W. McMaster, 1904-1997. 

Called to Serve, 1-13-13

Redlands Temple, 1-11-3

Riley returned from his mission, and we attended his homecoming today. 

There are so many ways that we can serve in our families, in our neighborhoods and communities, in the church, and in the world. Everyone has talents and something good to share. 

If you have desires to serve, be a little bold and "do it." You'll be happy and others will feel blessed by what you do. 

Be A Builder, 1-14-13

Fix it, 1-3-13
We need to teach our children that they are capable and that if they work hard, they can do what they want to do.                                                                                         
Build It, 1-3-13

This picture was taken  when we went shopping at the mall. My niece got to go on the Bob, the Builder ride, and then she had her hair curled, and then she bought some princess necklaces. All this while her mother was shopping with my daughter in a store.


Sleep, Baby, Sleep, 1-15-13

My Granddaughter, 1-2-13

I love this little girl.

My beautiful grand-daughter. I love her. I wish that I could hold and rock her and sing her lullabies. I am glad that I got to meet her at the beginning of the year. And I look forward to being with her and her brother and parents again.




Sunrise, 1-16-13

The Pink Glow of Sunrise

We get so many beautiful sunrises and sunsets right from our backyard.

Homemade Pizza, 1-17-13


Delicious Homemade Pizza

Jack Prelutsky is a great children's poet. I borrowed one of his verses for this picture. You should introduce your children to his works.


Scriptures, 1-18-13


Scriptures, 1-9-12

I love to read the holy scriptures.


I took this picture last year while I was waiting in the library for Christine to finish volunteering for the day. 


Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

(Moroni 10:3-5)

Primary Song

This is my first attempt at making a sign using Paint.

One of my Facebook friends had this down as her religion:

Be nice.

I think that is one of the greatest messages taught in the gospel and especially in Primary.


Bully for You, 1-19-13


Balboa, 1-2-12

We had fun on this day last year, after picking up John from the Long Beach Airport, just walking along the beach. Interesting to note, the dogs resembled their masters. 

Secret to Life, 1-20-13


At a park, 4-21-12

Our family and Sue's family went to the park together. It had been a year since Kathy passed away. This picture reminded me of a James Taylor song. Kathy loved James Taylor, and Kathy had this secret down.

Secret O' Life by James Taylor 

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time 
Any fool can do it 
There ain't nothing to it 
Nobody knows how we got to
The top of the hill
But since we're on our way down
We might as well enjoy the ride

The secret of love is in opening up your heart
It's okay to feel afraid
But don't let that stand in your way
'cause anyone knows that love is the only road
And since we're only here for a while
Might as well show some style
Give us a smile

Isn't it a lovely ride
Sliding down
Gliding down
Try not to try too hard
It's just a lovely ride

Now the thing about time is that time
Isn't really real
It's just your point of view
How does it feel for you
Einstein said he could never understand it all
Planets spinning through space
The smile upon your face
Welcome to the human race

Some kind of lovely ride
I'll be sliding down
I'll be gliding down
Try not to try too hard
It's just a lovely ride

Isn't it a lovely ride
Sliding down
Gliding down
Try not to try too hard
It's just a lovely ride 


Painted on 9-7-12

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

(Matthew 5: 13-16)



Pure Joy, 1-21-13



On the Library Roof, 4-2-12

My husband said that I captured pure joy with this photo



I miss spending time with my son, daughter-in-law and my two grandchildren. 


Dinner at the Kids' House, 1-22-13


My Grandson, 2-19-12

Yes, I'm missing my grandchildren.
On 2-19-12, My daughter-in-law fixed us all a lovely dinner. My grandson slept through it all. Christine was also babysitting a sick little puppy, Cowboy. He passed away that night.


Los Angeles Zoo, 1-23-13


Gerenuk

Christine and II had a great time at the zoo today. These animals are so graceful and beautiful.

In That Day, 1-24-13



Petting Zoo, 1-23-13

Often the prophets of the Torah, or the Old Testament, cited the people forward to the day when the Messiah would reign personally upon the earth as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and there would be peace, rest, and harmony between people and with all God's creations. They would reference these prophecies by beginning with "in that day." I also look forward to that day.

Feed the Birds, 1-25-13


Pat and Oscar's, 12-20-08

Simply Paint
This is my second simple sign that I made with Paint.

Let There Be Peace on Earth, 
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on earth, 
The peace that was meant to be!
With God as our Father, 
Brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me;
Let this be the moment now.
With ev'ry breath I take,
Let this be my solemn vow:
To take each moment
And live each moment in peace eternally!
Let there be peace on earth,
And let it begin with me!


At the park, July 2009
My daughter is giving her young cousin a push on the swing. 

Our children are growing so fast. They are in our homes for such a short time, but our love for them and their love for us can bless us throughout the eternities. Take time to enjoy one another at every opportunity. Life is a gift. Each family member is a significant individual jewel to be treasured for his or own personality, gifts, and talents. Cherish your family members, and always remember it isn't always just about performance; it is about being.



Family Loyalty, 1-26-13

Pat and Oscar's, 11-29-08
This was taken right before Tom left on his mission. Christine really missed her brother when she became an only child for a while.




Christmas Day, 2008
Taking time out of our busy schedules to spend time with our children is always time well spent. What memories do you have of spending time with your parents? What are your children's favorite things to do with you?

Redlands Temple 3-6-12


Temples, 1-27-13

Los Angeles Temple, 11-15-08
1. I love to see the temple.
I’m going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I’ll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

2. I love to see the temple.
I’ll go inside someday.
I’ll cov’nant with my Father;
I’ll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I’ve learned this truth:
A fam’ly is forever.

Words and music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938
© 1980 by Janice Kapp Perry.

I took this picture of myself at the Los Angeles Temple soon after Proposition 8 passed.
                                                                              (But it was after the protesters.)

Mission Time, 1-28-13



Oak Glen, 12-18-07

Dental Exam, 2009


Eliza was getting ready to leave on her mission to  Italy and Sicily. Her  Dad is her dentist.


We truly share in the excitement of the lowered age for missionary service in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Young men can now begin service at age 18, and young women can at age 19. Our family rejoiced when we heard the announcement. This is great news for furthering the reach of the church and its ability to serve the world.


http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-lowers-age-requirement-for-missionary-service


Climbing Together, 1-29-13

Oak Glen, 2009
Our trials and our successes are always better when we share them. We should always offer encouragement, and we can look to our Father for help and guidance each step of the way.

Living Waters, 1-30-13




Redlands Temple, 3-12-12
The peace and love sent from Jesus can fill our souls and make us whole.


Teach Me to Walk
1. (Child) Teach me to walk in the light of his love;
Teach me to pray to my Father above;
Teach me to know of the things that are right;
Teach me, teach me to walk in the light.


2. (Parent) Come, little child, and together we'll learn
Of his commandments, that we may return
Home to his presence, to live in his sight
Always, always to walk in the light.


3. (Both) Father in Heaven, we thank thee this day
For loving guidance to show us the way.
Grateful, we praise thee with songs of delight!
Gladly, gladly we'll walk in the light.


Words and music: Clara W. McMaster, 1904-1997. (c) 1958 IRI.
Obbligato by Darwin Wolford, b. 1936. (c) 1989 IRI

Food for Thought, 1-31-13



Pat and Oscar's, 12-20-08
Jesus was sent to feed the multitudes. Indeed, He is the Bread of Life. Many people flocked to Him to see His miracles and to have a free lunch. We also seek Him so that we can be fed. He ever calls, "Come, unto Me."

After you've been fed, why have you stayed?
Relief Society, 5-17-09
I was looking through my photo files. Here is a recipe that was written on the board during Sunday School on 5-17-09. I can't remember what the lesson was about, but I thought the recipe sounded good.

My sister uses cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups and layers the ingredients lasagna style instead of rolled up in the tortillas.

Redlands Temple, 6-5-09

Moroni came to earth again to give Joseph Smith the Book of Mormon record which contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and is a second witness to his divinity, along with the Bible, which is a first witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment